Rehoboam makes everyones' lives even more miserable than before. When the people leave him, Jeroboam makes them turn against God. All the kings suck, in other words.
First off, impressive insult in v. 10.
Note the advice given from the "old men" (elders) to Rehoboam: They basically believed as Jesus did, that we ought to serve one another. In fact, they say that if Rehoboam served them first, then the people, I assume out of love and devotion, would serve him very faithfully.
We don't have the result of that, because he chose the advice of his younger, more bullheaded peers, which was to come down even harder than before.
Nonetheless, it is a commandment from the Lord Himself that we serve one another. The elders, I believe, were right. How can I serve people more faithfully? Have I been serving them sufficiently?
I think where I serve well is in listening to others, and helping them. I try to listen and give advice that will help them. I take people aside and try to work with them, so they can be even better.
How can I serve better? I think I can still improve in my listening skills. I still talk about some people behind their backs, I think, just because I'm so "fed up" with them, and just need to vent. But that's not appropriate. Serving people means helping them. Tearing down other people's opinions of them doesn't help.
The other part of the chapter I highlighted was v. 24, it being a direct commandment from the Lord. We ought not to "fight against [our] brethren the children of Israel." I think this returns to what I said before. Serve each other. Build one another up. Help each other. Don't contend with one another. And don't bring the contention, whether it be to their face or especially behind their back. Instead of contention and judgment, we need to give righteous and loving counsel and help.
The other note I have for the chapter is in v. 31. Jeroboam appoints priests not from the house of Levi. In reference to the priesthood, this reminds me of the Ordain Women movement. For whatever reason, only a certain group is allowed to be the priests, or hold the offices of the priesthood. Proclaiming that others do so doesn't make them priests. In fact, it makes them false priests. Thus, the church can never give way to this principle. For whatever reason, men only hold the priesthood, and revelation is required in order to change that. It CAN change, as evidenced by the fact that only Levite men were anciently allowed to officiate in the temple, as contrasted with today.
No comments:
Post a Comment