A famous chapter in the Book of Mormon, relating the story of Ammon as he protects King Lamoni's sheep. I found some further insights in this chapter that I enjoyed:
v. 11
Typically, much of Ammon's ventures are related to missionary work. I remember using many chapters as allegories of teaching techniques, the value of member missionary work, etc. However, now that I'm not a missionary, this verse brought something else out. Here the Lord describes to the sons of Mosiah how they must be in their dealings with the Lamanites: "...yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls."
In light of recent social media events (the Church's recently leaked policy barring children of same-sex couples from being baptized), I thought this was very relevant. I may be moving to North Carolina if this job with Microsoft works out. How would/will I interface with a community that is much less LDS than even Washington state, let alone Utah? As I discuss the church with people, will they ask questions related to recent and other related events? If so, how do I respond? It's possible these individuals may be rather vitriolic and rude in their denunciations. However, if I am patient and long-suffering, I hope I can be a good enough example that the Lord could make an instrument of me. The church doesn't need more overly-defensive or judgmental members that spit out the first thing that pops in their head. The church needs calm, collected, understanding, hard-backed men and women that are ready to answer honest (or even not-so-honest) questions.
v. 29
Ammon rejoices that the servants of Lamoni are nervous for their lives, because he sees this as an opportunity to show his "power" and lead them to believe in his words. This is interesting because typically we aren't supposed to be sign-seekers. Understanding that this was during a time of Mosaic Law, where people didn't live by the gospel law. Nonetheless, signs can't be the base of our testimonies. Note the wording Ammon uses: "...that I may win the hearts of these my fellow-servants, that I may lead them to believe in my words" (emphasis added). Ammon doesn't want them to straight up believe in his words because of his power, he wants them to be lead to believe his words. What's the difference? I think it's similar to Alma's faith-like-a-seed allegory. We need a desire to believe, then we can have that desire work in us. Lamoni's people will not fully believe or be converted until later in the story, but this experience will get them asking questions, wondering, pondering, inviting the Spirit to do its magic.
Similarly, we can't hope to have miracles fall from the sky and convert people. Like Alma and Amulek in the prison, a miracle such as the prison coming down will probably cause people to flee in terror. Instead, we need small miracles that get people curious, asking questions, etc. Then, we begin teaching and inviting, which is when the Spirit can do its work.
Maybe the social media outrage is a blessing in disguise then...Maybe, just maybe, we can use these experiences to more easily find the people that have honest questions about the church. From there, perhaps we can invite them to learn more about the gospel...
No comments:
Post a Comment