Saturday, March 21, 2015

1 Kings 17: 3/21/15

The most important lesson to be learned in this chapter is of trust in God. It's a famous story of Elijah and the widow.
When the prophet arrives at the house per the instruction of the Lord, he is received by the woman who tells the horrible fate that has befallen them: namely, that because of the drought caused by Elijah sealing the heavens, her and her son don't have enough to survive and they would soon die.
When Elijah asks for food, she realizes she doesn't have enough.

What do we learn from how she responds to his request? Elijah says that she should make a small cake for him, then she had the promise of a never-ending supply until the drought end. She bravely chooses to honor his wish, and is rewarded.
We are not told much about her. The Lord does say that he has "commanded a widow woman to sustain [the prophet]." The Lord spoke something to her heart, I believe, so she would have the faith to trust a man who claimed to be prophet.

She put her trust in the Lord first and foremost. Can I say the same? Have I been truly tested in such a way? Perhaps not. This woman was in a case of, literally, life or death. I've had smaller moments, however, where I've had to trust the Lord. I think.
I had to trust the Lord when Marcella was going to General Conference so she would get an answer. She did. I had to trust the Lord that all would work out with my finances in preparation for my mission. It did.

I have experiences where my faith has been tested, and it's worked! I haven't had something as powerful as those in a while. I hope to have more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment