Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Tempted above what we can bear - Alma 13

Although I enjoyed much of the chapter, I was most struck by v. 28: "...watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear..."

Is this scripture implying that we can, in fact, be tempted above that which we are able to resist? This appears to be in conflict with 1 Cor 10:13, a famous seminary scripture mastery: "...but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able..."

It continues: "...but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

Ah. I think I understand. There may be temptations that we can't bear, unless we are praying continually for His help. They way out is through Christ, as it is with many things.

Am I plagued by certain temptations? Of course, we all are. The way to escape is through constant, vigilant prayer and what Alma calls "watch[ing]." I take this to mean studying scriptures, heeding words of prophets alive and dead, and ever being mindful of the ways of the world.

It is interesting to note, however, the specific inclusion of prayer. Can't "watching continually" have prayer as a necessary item under its fairly generalized umbrella? Perhaps. However, the specific inclusion of "pray" with "watch continually" may serve to underline the redemptive power of prayer when overcoming our obstacles in life.

This tells me...that I need to pray more. Joy! In all seriousness, though, I do need to do better saying morning and evening prayers. I usually miss morning prayers. Also, prayers over food...but maybe that's because I order pizza? In contrast, whenever I actually cook something, I always require a prayer before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment